Easter 2004 was a mess. Everywhere all over Iraq there were complex attacks on U.S. Forces. Baji was one of those places. We got the call in Tikrit at about 1800 that evening (that's 6 pm for you civi's) that the town of Baji was out of control. An ambush on a field artillery unit left many Americans dead in the streets and others were still being pinned down from sniper fire and RPG teams as the info came in. One soldier got his head blown off due to an RPG. They were still trying to get in there and reach the wounded and collect the dead. Now, i guess it should be noted that the field artillery wasn't really trained to do what they were being expected to do. "Close with and destroy the enemy" is an infantry tactic, not a F.A. tactic. So, the brigade commander decided to send in the Infantry.
It was about a 2 hour drive in our Bradley's to the center of the city where all of the action was taking place. I remember loading up in the back of the Bradley, making sure my stuff was tied down and my ammo was reachable for my machine gun and putting my night vision on my helmet. I remember being scared and I remember being pissed off. It had only been a few weeks since we had lost our commander to a huge ambush in Tikrit. I was ready to go get some payback for him, but at the same time I was nervous about losing another friend or even losing my own life. I had 2 hours to think about everything. I spent most of the time in prayer, asking God to be with everyone and bring us all back alive and well. I remember telling God that if He got me through that situation, I would promise not to waste my life, not to waste the opportunity I was asking Him for.
Then the Bradley stopped. Our Platoon Sgt came over the radio and told us the situation. The F.A. guys were able to get pulled out of the fatal hot spot. We were about to go back in. The ramp dropped and we all rushed out the back of the Brad and took cover behind a wall. An Apache Helicopter flew above us rushing into the hot zone to check it out. We heard the gun fire and the RPG's being launched toward him as he made his run down the line. We heard the gun ship return fire with hell fire missiles and heavy gun fire. Our platoon leader came up to us and told us to stay down against the wall. He was going to call in an air strike to see if that would put a dent in the enemy before we made our way in on foot. He got off the radio and told us, "2 minutes! Stay down!" Two minutes later, we heard the sound of one of the most beautiful things the military has in it's arsenal. A fighter jet was circling over and getting ready to drop one of their bombs on one of the houses the gunfire was coming from. It was like something out of a movie. It was loud, really loud. I remember the impact of the air hitting the other side of the wall we were on. I heard the Apache's go in again with there guns blazing and hell fire shooting, the still received a lot of gun fire, so the Air Force came back again. It was even louder. After the bomb dropped, everything went quiet. Our platoon leader gave us the go ahead to start walking. Again it was like something out of a movie. There were buildings on fire, rubble everywhere. We walked right in the middle of where the ambush took place with our Bradley's covering us from behind. We didn't see a soul move. We didn't hear anything stir. After a couple of hours of going through building after building we didn't find anyone alive. The Air Force had our backs that day. They got us out of a pretty heavy situation. And that's why i love the Air Force. No matter where the war is, our country needs two things. We need the Air Force to bomb the hell out of the place, and we need the Infantry to walk through it to make sure the bad guys are dead. My opinion is that we make a pretty good team...well, most of the time anyway....all except the time when they tried to kill us, but that's another story.
It was about a 2 hour drive in our Bradley's to the center of the city where all of the action was taking place. I remember loading up in the back of the Bradley, making sure my stuff was tied down and my ammo was reachable for my machine gun and putting my night vision on my helmet. I remember being scared and I remember being pissed off. It had only been a few weeks since we had lost our commander to a huge ambush in Tikrit. I was ready to go get some payback for him, but at the same time I was nervous about losing another friend or even losing my own life. I had 2 hours to think about everything. I spent most of the time in prayer, asking God to be with everyone and bring us all back alive and well. I remember telling God that if He got me through that situation, I would promise not to waste my life, not to waste the opportunity I was asking Him for.
Then the Bradley stopped. Our Platoon Sgt came over the radio and told us the situation. The F.A. guys were able to get pulled out of the fatal hot spot. We were about to go back in. The ramp dropped and we all rushed out the back of the Brad and took cover behind a wall. An Apache Helicopter flew above us rushing into the hot zone to check it out. We heard the gun fire and the RPG's being launched toward him as he made his run down the line. We heard the gun ship return fire with hell fire missiles and heavy gun fire. Our platoon leader came up to us and told us to stay down against the wall. He was going to call in an air strike to see if that would put a dent in the enemy before we made our way in on foot. He got off the radio and told us, "2 minutes! Stay down!" Two minutes later, we heard the sound of one of the most beautiful things the military has in it's arsenal. A fighter jet was circling over and getting ready to drop one of their bombs on one of the houses the gunfire was coming from. It was like something out of a movie. It was loud, really loud. I remember the impact of the air hitting the other side of the wall we were on. I heard the Apache's go in again with there guns blazing and hell fire shooting, the still received a lot of gun fire, so the Air Force came back again. It was even louder. After the bomb dropped, everything went quiet. Our platoon leader gave us the go ahead to start walking. Again it was like something out of a movie. There were buildings on fire, rubble everywhere. We walked right in the middle of where the ambush took place with our Bradley's covering us from behind. We didn't see a soul move. We didn't hear anything stir. After a couple of hours of going through building after building we didn't find anyone alive. The Air Force had our backs that day. They got us out of a pretty heavy situation. And that's why i love the Air Force. No matter where the war is, our country needs two things. We need the Air Force to bomb the hell out of the place, and we need the Infantry to walk through it to make sure the bad guys are dead. My opinion is that we make a pretty good team...well, most of the time anyway....all except the time when they tried to kill us, but that's another story.

3 comments:
You're right, the Air Force and Army are a good combo. Thank goodness the Air Force can't shoot a gun, huh?
Well, i don't really like the rest of the army, just the infantry...and yeah, it is a good thing they can't shoot, but that's comin up in part 2 (whenever i decide to write it).
Hi Nathan, This is Elizabeth Mullins. I just ran on to your blog through Clays. I am very proud of you and very thankful for the sacrifice you make so we can live here safe with our families. We will keep you in our prayers and ask God to continually be with you and keep you safe.
With love, Elizabeth
Post a Comment