Friday, March 26, 2010

Oklahoma Christian and the Greater Grads Job Fair

-OC Heads to the Career Fair
-Searching for Career Ideas
-Job Market in the Recession


Graduating from college can be difficult and stressful time. As one chapter of life closes, another one opens. The Greater Grads Career Job Fair of Oklahoma this Tuesday at the Cox Convention Center is one way for students across the state to move onto that next chapter in life.



More than 100 employers in the state of Oklahoma had a chance to advertise their company to more than 1,000 students from colleges around the state. Employers like Boeing Company, the F.B.I., Dell and Tinker Federal Credit Bureau were on hand to try and get students to come talk to them about opportunities for work after college.



Oklahoma Christian Heads Downtown



Oklahoma Christian did its part in trying to help students by providing bus transport to and from the Cox Convention Center.



"The line for the buss was pretty excruciating, but I thought it was a great opportunity for me to go and meet potential employers," said Kayla Lewis, a junior social studies education major from Oklahoma Christian.



Searching for Career Ideas



Even younger students who are not quite ready to graduate are keeping their options open by attending the event.



"I'm just a sophomore, but I really don't know what I'm going to do after I graduate, so I figured I might come up with a good idea for a major if I come and check out what kind of jobs are available in Oklahoma, and what I need to do to get there," said Salomon Murillo, from Oklahoma Christian University.



Job Market in the Recession



Some students are nervous about getting out of college during the country's worst recession in 80 years, but were hopefully optimistic after going to the fair.



"I wasn't so sure about the job market, but I was extremely pleased and encouraged at how many employers just in the state of Oklahoma that are hiring during these times," said Jared Scism, a Junior Bible major hoping to graduate this time next year.



Whatever career field students are planning on going into, the Greater Grads Career Fair of Oklahoma seems to have been a success in the eyes of most students, whether they are graduating this spring or three years from now. It is never too early to begin looking for the right job.

No comments: