It's been a rough couple of days for me. On Thursday night I found out another one of my brothers has passed on violently into the night. I find myself in pain. Not being able to think about anything else, except my brothers who have gone on before me, way too young. It reminds me of old memories, of the five men in my company who gave their lives to defend freedom in my first tour in Iraq, and the one who was with me my first tour who didn't make it through his second. I had planned on telling a story of a hero who died too young, my commander. It happened only days after my first patrol that i wrote about in part 1. I can't bring myself to write it out.
I find myself speechless...not knowing what to say. I don't think most civilians will ever really know what kind of bond we make here in the infantry. I ask the man to my left and right to watch my back. I put my life in his hands, and he puts his life in mine. And when one of those men end up dead, i feel as if i failed them. I count now 7 men who have died in my unit since i joined the army. 4 of them were in combat, killed by the enemy. 2 of them died in an accident in combat, and now the last made it through combat with us, only to come back home and pass on due to a tragic accident. I mourn for my friends today and try my best to move on with my life, knowing that death is apart of this life and a huge part of this business I'm in. Sorry my story isn't that good this time....maybe next time it will be better....I'll leave you this time with a poem i wrote years ago after my first tour. No replies are necessary. I'll be fine. Because our friends still live on in our memories. They are Gone, But Never Forgotten.
The Face In The Mirror
I look in the mirror and what do I see?
A face of a boy staring back at me.
Who is this I see? Who could this be?
The boy in the mirror looks just like me.
The boy in the mirror with eyes so sad.
Why are you like this, why feel so bad?
His question burns within what remains...
Innocent blood shed has made me feel insane.
With tears starting to flow, he holds out his hand.
I take it gently, and he tells me people will understand.
It wasnt your fault, you didnt have a choice.
I nod sadly, at the sound of his voice.
I remember my friends, the ones who did not survive.
And yet, here I am, still alive.
Forgive me for not dying too.
Forgive me for not joining you.
I will live on, and remember your names.
I will live on, with the pain.
Help me God to be the man you want of me.
Forgive me for what I am, the man, I am not proud to be.
I look in the mirror and what do I see?
A face of a man, just trying to be.
By NAH
For our brothers who are still out on patrol. Rest in Peace my friends.
CPT John Kurth
Spc. Jason Ford
Spc. Tracy Laremore
Spc. Clint Matthews
Spc. Morgan Jacobs (He was my roomie)
CPT Palarmo
Spc. Carter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment