Tuesday, May 20, 2008

An Infantryman's Tale: What is this, Oklahoma, you speak about?

Iraqi soldier: "Mister, Mister...how, are you?"
Nate: "I'm doing alright, bud. How are you today?"
Iraqi soldier: "Do you have MRE?"
Nate: "Yeah, i got an MRE for ya. Here you go." Throws him a Meal Ready to Eat (for those who might not know). "It's a pretty good one bro, got a lot of Pork in there for ya."
Iraqi: "Oh, mister, I can not take then."
Nate: "I'm just messin with ya dude. It's chicken, I promise."
Iraqi: "OHHHH!!! You funny man, Mister. Do you have water? My name is Muhammad. Your name is?"
Nate: "Yeah, here's some water for you dude. My name is Bob."
Iraqi: "OH, Bob! Like Bobby Brown!"
Nate: "Well, not quite like Bobby Brown, dude."
Iraqi: "Where you from?"
Nate: "America."
Iraqi: "HAHAHA, you funny man, mister Bob. Where in America?"
Nate: "Oklahoma."
Iraqi: "Where is this Oklahoma? I thought you from United States?"
Nate: "Yeah, it is in the states dude. It's one of the States."
Iraqi: "So, you from United States?"
Nate: "Yeaaaaah."
Iraqi: "You from New York City?!"
Nate: "No, Oklahoma."
Iraqi: "Is that in California?"
Nate: "No, Oklahoma is in Oklahoma. You know like: OOOOOOklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin down the plain!" (As i attempt to sing).
Iraqi: "You funny man, mister Bob! Is this Oklahoma in Florida?"
Nate: "Dude, seriously. Oklahoma is one of the 50 states. It's not in Florida, not in California, not in New York. It's just Oklahoma."
Iraqi: "Is it near New York City?"
Nate: "No bro...it's near Texas. Right above Texas."
Iraqi: "AHHHHHH....TEXAS! It is in TEXAS, YES!"
Nate: "No dude. It is not in Texas. I HATE TEXAS!

I don't know how many times I had this same conversation with God knows how many Iraqi soldiers, interpreters, or Iraqi kids. No one has heard of Oklahoma. It's so sad.

1 comment:

Abbie H. said...

I will admit-this one definately made me LOL!!!!